2020 Attorney Panel
Free for Members, $20.00 for Guests
Please join us for one of our most popular programs of the year, the Attorney Panel. This program provides members with answers to their employment related legal questions. The Panel will respond to questions on current topics. Please note we have extend this event by 30 minutes to allow for additional Q&A so don't forget to bring your questions!
This year our panel will include:
- Dalton Green, a partner in the Wilmington office of Hedrick, Gardner, Kincheloe and Garofalo. Dalton's practice focuses on the areas of employment law and workers' compensation. She counsels employers on all aspects of employment law, including hiring and termination practices, policy and handbook drafting, discrimination/EEOC claims, wrongful termination under the NC Retaliatory Discrimination Act (REDA) and Title VII, wage and hour disputes (FLSA), and unemployment claims. Dalton's expertise in the area of employee and employer social media usage has enabled her to present HRCI-accredited seminars on these topic. Dalton served as the President for the LCFHRA in 2018 & 2019 and will be Board Adviser for 2020 & 2021.
- John F. Green, a partner at Hall & Green, has been practicing law in New Hanover County for more than 17 years. He has handled cases involving serious injuries, wrongful death, work place injuries, personal injuries, and social security disability. These cases have involved a wide array of injuries, including explosions, burns, amputations, spinal cord damage and severe brain injuries. Many of these injuries force the client and the client’s family to deal with permanent disability which prevents a return to work, and sometimes the serious injuries require life care plans. John received his undergraduate degree from North Carolina State University and completed his law degree at the University of Richmond, School of Law. John joined the law firm in 1997 and was made a partner in 2002. He is a member of the North Carolina State Bar, North Carolina Bar Association, the New Hanover County Fifth Judicial District Bar, and the North Carolina Advocates for Justice.
- Will Oden, an attorney with Ward and Smith, P.A. Will's practice focuses on employment law, workers' compensation, and occupational safety and health law issues. He has been certified as a Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR) since 2008 and is a SHRM Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP). The Safety and Health Council of North Carolina and North Carolina Department of Labor have certified Will as a Manager of Environmental Safety and Health Programs (MESH). He also is a certified mediator. Will is a past Board Member and President of the LCFHRA.
- Lindsey Surratt, Area SVP, Compliance Counsel for Hill, Chesson & Woody. Lindsey utilizes her knowledge of COBRA, HIPAA, ERISA and areas of the Internal Revenue Code that impact employee benefits to help employers identify compliance concerns and make recommendations to help maintain their conformity under the law. Lindsey specializes in Employer Mandate/Pay or Play Penalty, Health Insurance Exchanges, reform changes to FSA's, new reporting requirements and fees associated with healthcare reform and information associated with the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act and the impact on employers.
- Benton Toups, a partner in the Wilmington office of Cranfill, Sumner & Hartzog. Benton concentrates on representing businesses in all aspects of Labor and Employment Law. He has extensive experience assisting employers with claims of harassment and discrimination under Title VII, the ADA, the NC Retaliatory Employment Discrimination Act (REDA), as well as claims for unpaid wages and overtime pursuant to the FLSA and NC Wage and Hour Act. Benton also represents clients in business disputes and commercial litigation matters and is a certified mediator.
- Jason Toups, is a member at MGC practicing workers’ compensation in Wilmington. His practice concentrates on the defense of North Carolina employers and municipalities against disability claims filed by their employees, as well as the defense of insurance carriers providing coverage to these entities. Having practiced in the Wilmington area since 2006, Jason is one of only two defense attorneys in eastern North Carolina to be certified by the North Carolina State Bar as a specialist in workers’ compensation.
Nicole Patino, an associate attorney with the Wilmington, NC & Greensboro Law Offices of Fred T. Hamlet. Nicole regularly advises and represents businesses and employees with employment and labor issues and claims, including NLRB and ERISA matters, handbook drafting and revisions, employment agreements, severance packages, and claims under Title VII. She also regularly represents supervisors and managers when they are sued in the course and scope of their employment. Prior to law school, Nicole worked as a substance abuse counselor and uses that experience in practice, interpreting medical records, evaluating emotional distress damages, and assessing the credibility of witnesses. She is the President of the Greensboro Bar Association Young Lawyers Section, is a Board member of Piedmont Triad Women Attorneys, is the Legislative Chair for the Lower Cape Fear Human Resources Association, and is active with the Greensboro Bar Association. Nicole serves as the Legislative Chair for the LCFHRA.